Wednesday 19 July 2017

This Conference thing..

So I keep getting emails about this Conference thing...

I guess it's what you do as a Lib Dem?

Honestly, I don't know that much detail, and it could be the sort of thing I love or hate.  I get the impression it's that for a lot of people, and no reflection on my specific personality.

But I am interested to learn more about the party, about how it operates, to see that in action and understand what I can get involved in and how.  That information isn't exactly easily findable.  It's either provided with barely a passing reference to federal structure and precious little that might actually be informative (*cough* welcome pack *cough*), or else comes in an over burdensome format that whilst probably somewhat of a useful reference to old hands, is far too convoluted and poorly indexed for a newcomer to navigate (depths of the LD website).

Conference seemed like a good, deep-end jump into getting to grips with all this.  I'm frustrated by my ability to not do more - I still get stuff from the local party in the wake of the General Election, but the tricky element for me is finding what I can fit around my excessively demanding work schedule. 

Pleasingly, as a first time attendee, the rate is to come is heavily discounted and doesn't suffer from any early bird period - I can make my decision whensoever I choose. 

For now, the holiday request from work is in, and I'm awaiting the next payday to pay my registration fee.  I'm definitely curious, and if nothing else this feels like the sort of thing I should attend the once, so I can understand what exactly happens there, even if it proves not to be my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment